Driving abroad in the Free Circulation Zone

If you’re thinking of driving your own car within the Free Circulation Zone, as of the 2nd August you are no longer required to carry a Green Card with you. Given that it may take a short while to filter this information to local border and roads policing authorities, it is recommended you carry a green card up until the end of August 2021.

For more information please read on.

I am planning on driving in Europe, what cover do I have and what do I need to do?

Your standard insurance policy will cover you for the minimum legal cover - Third party only. This level of cover doesn’t include any cover for you, your belongings or your car.

If this level of cover meets your needs, all you need to carry with you is your valid driving license and a copy of your insurance certificate.

If you’d like to upgrade your cover to the same level you hold in the UK please call us 7-10 days before you travel on 0345 609 2571.

What other things should I be aware of when driving abroad?

You can visit the Government website for foreign travel advice on entry requirements, and information of safety and local laws. You can also follow the “Drive abroad: step by step” guide to ensure you have all the information you need to drive your own, or hire car, while abroad.

Where can I find further information on Green Cards?

You can find further updates on the Government website, alongside information on driving permits, hiring cars abroad, foreign driving rules and rules around towing caravans. .

What are the Free Circulation Zone countries?

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia and Slovenia.